Screening in numbers
Progress of newborn screening for SMA in Europe
European countries / territories with no data
Data is not available for the countries / territories:
Isle of Man
Screening for SMA outside of Europe
The following countries and territories screen all newborns for spinal muscular atrophy:
- Australia: Pilot screening programme taking place in New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory (combined, approx. 33% of all births in Australia)
- Canada: Approx. 72% of newborns are screened for SMA. The disorder is included in routine screening programmes in the following provinces: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and Saskatchewan, as well as in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories.
- Japan: Province-level pilot projects in place.
- Qatar: All newborns are screened for SMA since approx. 2021.
- Taiwan: A pilot project in place during 2014–2016 followed by routine screening of all newborns.
- United States: Approx. 99% of newborns are screened for SMA, which was recommended in 2019 and is currently included in state programmes in 48 out of 50 states as well as in Washington D.C. Only Nevada and Hawaii do not screen for SMA; of them, Nevada anticipates to start screening for SMA in late summer 2023.